DIBELS 8th Edition is more useful for more students in more grades than ever before. DIBELS 8th Edition is the least invasive, and one of the most effective screening tools available. It is used widely in Title 1 schools across the nation, with students in special education programs and identified with specific learning disabilities like dyslexia, and by educators focused on improving literacy for all students. Schools and districts choose DIBELS 8th Edition as their assessment solution, because they trust scientific evidence, research-based practices, and decades of experience in teaching and learning on which DIBELS is based.
DIBELS 8th Edition has a lot to offer that no other curriculum-based measurement (CBM) system ever has before. In fact, DIBELS 8th Edition is more useful for more students in more grades than ever before.
- Extended grade levels. DIBELS can be used from kindergarten through eighth grade.
- Consistent subtests within grade. Subtests relevant to a given grade are offered at every benchmark period.
- Enhanced composite scores. DIBELS composite scores has been overhauled to make them better than ever at predicting risk.
- New and revised subtests. DIBELS now includes word reading fluency and existing subtests have undergone extensive improvement efforts to maximize their usefulness.
- Expanding the safety net. DIBELS now offers a word reading fluency measure that can help to identify students with poor sight word and irregular word reading skills that other subtests miss. Maze is now offered for second grade, nonsense word fluency has been extended to third grade and includes advanced phonics patterns, and oral reading fluency and maze have been extended through eighth grade.
- Expanding the utility. DIBELS forms now have items that progress in difficulty beyond risk cut-points that provide data teachers can use in planning instruction for all students.
- Dyslexia screening. DIBELS subtests offer efficient and cost-effective measures of processing speed, phonological awareness, and the alphabetic principle for dyslexia screening purposes. For more information, read our Dyslexia Screening and DIBELS 8th Edition White Paper.
Where can I get DIBELS 8th Edition?
For your convenience we provide paper-based testing materials as a free download. Alternatively, DIBELS 8 Material Kits are available for purchase through our partners at Amplify. Amplify also offers the DIBELS Data System (DDS) and a mobile version of DIBELS 8th Edition on mCLASS.